Mayor Sheila Dixon is bringing people together to make our city safer. She is working to get the guns and violent criminals off our streets. She is fighting crime block by block in partnership with each neighborhood and local business. And, she's retaining our best police officers and recruiting hundreds of new ones.
Her crime plan consists of three main components.
- Targeted Enforcement. Through targeted enforcement, we must go after our city's most violent offenders. The most violent crimes are being committed by the same small group of people with illegal guns. Our targeted enforcement strategy focuses on four elements:
- Focus resources on violent crime and violent offenders.
- Go after guns.
- Effectively manage existing resources
- Firearms Bureau - eliminating 6 month ballistic test backlog
- Control overtime spending without compromising safety and investigations
- Operation Protect
- Law Enforcement + City Services + Community Projects
- Baltimore EXILE -- ups the ante for gun crimes by taking cases through Federal court system.
- Gang Strategy
- Operation Safe Streets & anti-gang grants to non-government groups
- Multi-jurisdictional gang intel briefings
- Alternatives for those who want to get out of the game
- Strong joint suppression and prosecution of gang violence
- Gun Task Force - target enforcement and suppress gun trafficking
- Gun Stat - multi-agency effort to ensure accountability and develop data to inform gun seizure agenda
- Legislation that will deter gun crime
- Emphasis on "CSI" (ballistics, trace data, shell casing, etc.)